CLUB CHILD PROTECTION POLICY
We, the Club, believe that good practice at Larkhall Avondale Amateur Swimming Club is as follows;
1. The welfare of children is everyone’s responsibility, particularly when it comes to protecting children from abuse. Everyone in swimming – administrator, Club official, coach, parent, friend, children themselves, everyone – can help. Children and young people have a lot to gain from swimming. Their natural sense of fun and spontaneity can blossom in positive sporting environments. Swimming provides an excellent opportunity for children to learn new skills, become more confident and maximise their own unique potential. The Club will place the needs of the child first and winning and competition second.
2. The underlying principles with respect to Child Protection are that:
· The child’s welfare is the first consideration.
· All children, regardless of age, any disability they have, gender, racial origin, religious belief and sexual identity have a right to be protected from abuse.
· Children and young people must be treated with integrity and respect.
· Children and young peoples’ programmes and competitions will be relevant to their ages and stages of development.
3. We are committed to following the current Scottish Swimming’s Child Protection guidelines. All our volunteers / staff are members of Scottish Swimming.
4. The Club:
· aims to create an enjoyable environment, where young people have the right to be safe, secure and free from threat,
· acknowledges that young people have the right to be treated with respect and for their concerns to be listened to and acted upon,
· will aim to ensure that junior members have specific programmes designated for them, with adequate supervision,
· is committed to ensuring that all helpers, whatever their role, complete a Club Registration Form, sign a Code of Conduct and complete PVG Scheme Application (if in a regulatory position) and a Self Declaration Form in relation to Child Protection,
· provides clear, comprehensive, easily understood procedures for dealing with - allegations of abuse - requests for help and support on a confidential basis,
· is committed to an equitable recruitment selection policy for coaches,
· will always emphasise fair play.
5. Our Child Protection Officer is: Amanda Strachan